Thursday, June 29, 2017

Fort Necessity

This was not originally part of our drive home from Fallingwater after the road trip to Pittsburgh, but our friends are history buffs and big into National Parks, so we stopped by Fort Necessity just because it was there.  The battle here in 1754, where George Washington suffered a massive defeat, was the opening action of the French and Indian War and is said to have set the stage for the Revolutionary War.

What was fascinating to all of us as Hamilton aficionados (AKA Hamilfans or Familtons LOL)is that this battle was referenced toward the end of Act I when Washington sang:

I was younger than you are now
When I was given my first command
I led my men straight into a massacre
I witnessed their deaths firsthand
I made every mistake
I felt the shame rise in me
And even now I lie awake
Knowing history has its eyes on me










I don't know how anyone could call this little circle of sticks a "fort," but warfare was pretty different back then.  The diorama depicted a pretty grisly scene.


And since we were there, the boys all got another Junior Ranger badge!


1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the history about this National Park!