Tuesday, February 28, 2017

#DylanPaige

It feels like it's been a thousand years since kindergarten, but in the short 4 years since Joseph was in K-R, his teacher has gotten married, moved to New England, and now has had a beautiful baby girl!  Any idea what her name is?


Pardon me for gender stereotyping, but there's just something about little girls and rainbows that heavily influenced me when designing this quilt.  Plus a herringbone quilt has been on my to-do list for some time. It was much simpler than I ever imagined - all strip sets of 2" wide prints alternating with background, then cut on a 60 degree angle.








I thought the quilt would be plenty big at around 42" square, but after sewing it all together and trimming the ends, the strong vertical design of it make it looked oddly short and wide to me.  Luckily I came up with an adorable solution to elongate it by adding the baby's name.  (Please check out this guy's FREE pieced alphabet pattern, it's awesome, but yeah, a lot of crazy math to resize the letters).



I decided to do fairly repetitive straight(ish) line quilting about half an inch(ish) apart, which creates a lot of drag and wound up causing a little wonky distortion on the back.  This is why there's a saying in quilting that "finished is better than perfect." Luckily it's not that noticeable from far away, and it looks a ton better once the quilt was washed.






Perfect polka dot binding!




Take a look at how I wound up photographing this quilt.  Hanging from our pergola with binder clips hanging from nails!  The lightning was just right and there was no one around to hold it for me....until later.




It's just been shipped off to its recipient, and I sure hope she likes it.  Welcome Dylan Paige!




2 comments:

Wayne Kollinger said...

You did a great job of resizing and sewing my alphabet. I like how it looks on the quilt.

Could I show a picture of it on my blog so the whole world (or at least that small part of the world that reads my blog)could see it?

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

Wayne, sure, that would be wonderful! Thanks so much for making the alphabet available, I'm sure I'll be using it again!