Saturday, January 14, 2017

New Addition

Brent asked me to make a quilt for one of his coworkers who was having a baby girl.  I got started on a rainbow colored quilt (because hello, little girls and rainbows and unicorns!) and had even finished piecing the top when I finally found out that the mom had chosen a gray, orange and aqua color scheme for the nursery.  That's such a lovely color combo that I had to switch gears immediately, so I pulled what I had in my stash and chose one of the most straightforward patterns I could think of, the "plus quilt," perfect for a new "addition" to this family!  Literally not a single seam to match, I had it pieced and basted in no time at all.




Though it was impossible to photograph well due to lighting and weather, I think it's just the most adorable quilt ever.  So simple but stunning - and not just because I love gray!  (Seriously though, these are some of the worst quilt pics I've taken!  Tried so many different days but just couldn't get the colors to read right.  Finally just had to wash it up so it could be delivered.)



The quilting was super simple, straight lines 1/4" inside the plus sign seams both horizontally and vertically.  I always thought I'd use a dark grey for the binding, but this orange convinced me it was the right choice.





The back wound up fun and funky.  It's always fascinating to see what results from an effort to just use up all the scraps from the front. That teal-ish fabric up the middle was the first fabric I pulled.  It's made it into 1 or 2 other quilts, and now it's all gone.





There are so many other gorgeous fabrics in this quilt too, I'm just "positively" in love with it!



No comments: