Saturday, February 13, 2016

Random #6

Boy, the old blog has taken a hit in February.  Is there nothing worth posting or no time or effort to post?  The answer is somewhere in the middle there.  Here's another roundup of completely random things found on my phone spanning at least the past 3 months.

Third grade is good.  Like, unexpectedly and heartwarmingly much better than ever expected.  The boy has had some challenges with "executive functioning," like organizing and prioritizing and remembering and multitasking, but dang if he's not nailing it this year.  He was SO proud to show me his neat and tidy desk during open house (way back in November) that he asked me to take a picture for Papa so he would believe it.  He is also apparently proud of his spelling prowess and gave himself an A+.



We have spent more time with friends.  Yay!  This was our friend Shami's birthday.  Another yay since someone else is as old as I am, at least until my birthday next month.



I do still work.  Boo :(  At least there is some serious cuteness involved, like when my little ones finally feel like they are ready to give up their binky for good, so they bring them all in to me to "pass on to new babies who need them."


I know, totally random again, but there are too many things about this thank you note from Joseph to Uncle Peter that I love.  Especially him screaming "PS LOVE YOU" to wrap it up.


Remember that time the Powerball was a BILLION dollars?!  Yes, I invested $2 on a ticket.  Sorry, not a winner.  Interestingly the night of the drawing we were all playing Life (because almost every night we're either playing Life or Monopoly) and I lost my job three times, until I was a salesperson living in a mobile home trying to survive on $20,000 a year.  Could've been an awesome backstory had I won.


Emoji art.  I quite like it!  Not much else to say about it, other than pointing out our 8 year old thinks it hysterical to refer to us by our first names now.



Had to put off celebrating dear Missy's December 30th birthday until we were back from Santa Fe.  We met halfway at the Cheesecake Factory in Clarendon, because sometimes you just need to celebrate an inside joke that spans 20 years of friendship.  (#frieswiththat).  So excited that we've committed to a monthly lunch date.  Why did we not think of this until now???


I always wish I had more time to devote to my quilting.  (Perhaps I should stop wasting time watching Arrow, the Flash, and Supergirl?).  I was tearing up old quilting magazines and came upon a pattern involving triangles that I spontaneously decided to try.  That little heart-within-a-heart in the middle is SO gonna be my favorite part of this whole project.


You know it's been almost a year since Simon tried to leave us?  We are the masters of feline cardiac medication administration, if I do say so myself.  The diuretic must be making him thirsty, or he's just an LSU fan.


Snowzilla follow up.  Potomac River: Frozen.


Family haircut day, always a favorite of mine.  JT still rocking the mohawk from time to time.


Our friends have been holding us to hosting this annual Superbowl party thing.  I had a momentary lapse and actually asked out loud if it was on Saturday or Sunday this year.  Oops!  It's really just an excuse to have our good friends over and make the biggest vat of gumbo you've ever seen.  It doesn't look that big when I'm holding it, but it takes up more that half the stove and weighs a ton.  Upon request from a neighbor I asked for and made Mimi's awesome potato salad recipe, and that's a keeper.



At least we had a TV on the main floor of the house this year so everyone didn't have to go down into the basement to watch the game.  We temporarily rearranged all the furniture to access the cable and outlets.  And we discovered instantly why we don't have a TV on the main floor of our house.
  

Most recently, and in almost real-time blogging, we went out to dinner last night to the fabulously hip and trendy Momofuku in City Center.  Our friends had made a reservation and pre-booked their famous fried chicken dinner entree for the table - only available for 2 parties per night!  Finger licking good!  The cereal milk soft-serve with crunch and birthday cake truffles from Milk Bar were divine as well.



1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Looks like a full month with lots of fun and love. That's what life is all about! I love your taste in television! I also watch Arrow, the Flash, and Supergirl. I also enjoy DC's Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham (die-hard DC comics Superhero fan here). Since you're so good at making things, including costumes, you may consider going to the Baltimore Comic-con in September as superheroes. I go every year as Green Lantern or Aquaman and it's a lot of fun. There's also a costume contest for kids and another for adults, and then a superhero group contest. It's Sept. 2-4 this year. Here's the link! baltimorecomiccon.com/. - Rob