Thursday, September 10, 2015

What's black and white and green all over?

This quilt!



This quilt has been well over a year in the making, which is not very typical for me.  I usually work on one project from start to finish before moving on to the next.  But I thought it would be fun to try to check off a few more things on my "quilty bucket list" and came up with this project.  I've wanted to make a "sampler" quilt, where every block is different, and I thought it would be fun to do that as a "block of the month" project, where I just make one block (or in this case two blocks) per month, and wind up with a full size quilt at the end of the year.  As a typical fabric hoarder, I also wanted to make an entirely "stash" quilt, where I only use up what I already have on hand instead of buying anything new.  Lastly, I thought it would be fun to do the quilt in an "improv" fashion, where I had no plan for what the finished project would be.

I decided to break into my beloved black & white print collection, and used this funky green color as the background solely because I had tons of it left over from a previous project and was pretty sure I would never use it again. I also settled on making the entire quilt out of 3" half-square triangles (or "HST's" as we quilters love to call them) to make 12" blocks.  I'd make a batch of HST's here and there whenever I had the time, then used 4 groups of 4 different prints for each block, rearranging them into as many unique patterns as I could.




There are enough combinations of 16 units that every block could have been completely different, but  I did include a few patterns twice, just in the exact opposite arrangement of print and background.



After all the blocks were done, I still had to come up with the layout on the fly.  The sashing that I designed perfectly highlights and frames each block individually but unifies them all at the same time.  I couldn't be happier with it, and I especially love the strong linear component that it adds to all the randomness of the blocks.







Can we all just pause a moment to admire the most Perfect. Binding. Fabric. Ever?  I kind of knew all along I was going to use it.  Can I also mention how much I love these Wonder Clips when it comes to binding?



The backing is by far one of the most cray cray I have ever made, but again, I was really trying to use up random fabrics I had in my stash, so I had to piece a few together.  I also threw in a few blocks I had made that didn't seem to read well on the front of the quilt.  There's this spirit animal print I picked up in Alaska last year, a black polka dot I bought in Lancaster ages ago, and also whatever green I had leftover.




The quilting is about as simple as it gets: a grid of 3" squares.  However, many of the seams with HST's are bulky and bumpy, so I offset the grid so that it went right through the middle of the sashing and the middle of each 3" unit, avoiding just about every seam there is.



So check this out: my waterproof camera has all these cool settings, including filters where you can isolate colors, like GREEN!  It's almost hard to tell the 1st picture isn't all in color unless you look closely.  The rest are a bit more obvious.  I love the one with my green soled flip flops.





The green reads so differently in all of these pictures, but in real life the color looks like wasabi to me (even though it is actually Kona Tarragon).  That green with white flecks all over reminded me of wasabi peas, so I'm calling this quilt "Wasabi Peas and HST's."  I probably would have loved this quilt more with a different background color (maybe blue or red?), but it was super fun to make, and it's one of the very few quilts I've made that I get to keep and enjoy using!





1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Wow. That's incredibly beautiful. You are a true artisan. What an amazing talent. Is there anything you guys can't do? I'm always amazed by your talents and creativity.