Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral?

Joseph has been coming home with more and more artwork from school, and is spending more time drawing at home as well.  All he wanted me to sign him up for in summer camp was art programs.  Funny, because I remember being quite the prolific artiste when I was in 2nd grade too.  I drew so many pictures for my teacher that year, and one day she surprised me with an art gallery showcasing all of my work on the bulletin board in the classroom.  Incredibly sweet but equally as embarrassing, and I think I moved on to other activities quite soon after.

Joseph said he was supposed to draw an original plant in the first picture.  It has plenty of roots and leaves.  And then there's all the blood-tipped teeth....kind of like a Venus fly trap?  I've seen several variations on that theme.
  


So: I can't remember much of what Joseph said about this one.  It's vibrantly colored but there are some unhappy faces in there.  Discuss.


He draws lots and lots of dragons.  He's very into the How to Train Your Dragon series of books and movies.  I don't know if this is a character in that or not, but here is the Black Diamond Dragon, originally in black and white.  And then in color.  More bloody teeth.  Lovely.



Then we have the recurring psychedelic "hypnotizing snake" series.  (You're getting sleepy...veeeeerrrrry sleeeeeeeepy......)



I guess they were also asked to draw an original animal in art class too.  Then the rest of the kids had to write down compliments.  Joseph's lizard/dragon/monster thing is named Slithrin, after the Slytherin, one of the four Houses at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  Someone is also into Harry Potter too!




"I like how you made the lizard like it's eating a turtle." - Stephen
"I like the monster thing eating the turtle." - Max
"I like how your teeth is bloody and it looks like it ate a animal." - Simon

Seven year old boys are very disturbed.  And I am throwing away all the red markers.

No comments: