Sunday, October 26, 2014

Maid of the Mist

Just about the only thing I remember about our family trip to Niagara Falls when I was a kid of maybe 5 years old or so is the Maid of the Mist boat tour.  I was so excited to experience it again as an adult and share it with my family today.  (The only disappointment was in finding out that they changed the name of the boats on the Canadian side to the "Hornblower."  They are still "Maid of the Mist on the US side, but the Hornblower tix were part of our package tour.)


After donning our ponchos, we boarded directly across from the American  and Bridal Veil falls.






As soon as we hit the mist, there were rainbows and unicorns everywhere we looked.   Okay, maybe not the unicorns, but it was still pretty magical.






They really should tell you that once you hit the mist, the winds come a-whipping, and those flimsy little ponchos are completely useless.  But oh my gosh, it is So. Much. Fun!!!!  We were cackling the entire time, and Joseph loved every single second of it.  So glad I was prepared with a waterproof sleeve for my phone.  It's one of the best purchases I've ever made, and it comes in mighty handy in situations like these.






We were completely soaked but entirely psyched by the end of the tour.  What an amazing experience to be that close!    Joseph wanted to do it about a hundred more times.  We rounded out the day with a viewing of the falls illuminated at night.  Just. Awesome.




Upon our return I remembered that many years ago I scanned a ton of old slides that were in a box in my parents' basement.  Among them was this pic of me and my siblings with my mom on board this very tour - that's me on the left.  Looks like the ponchos were a bit sturdier back in the day.  I love that we got a similar family portrait of us now!



No comments: