Friday, April 18, 2014

X-Wing Fighter Pillows

I'm generally not a fan of using many novelty fabrics in my quilts, but when I came across this Star Wars fabric one day, I knew it would be the perfect backing for pillows that I wanted to make for 2 very special boys in my life.   Amazingly I had plenty of coordinating fabrics to pull from my stash to make up the front.



Aunt Missy adores having everything perfectly matched for Jack and Will, so I made 2 identical pillow covers, with the exception of their initials, of course.  There's a zipper hiding right next to Darth Vader under the stripes.




After trying out a few other options, I settled on this design because the gray triangles made me think of Luke Skywalker's X-Wing fighter from the movies. In case any of the boys involved ask, theses are most definitely not "butterfly" blocks. 



I've been working with "half square triangles" a lot, and I tried pretty hard to get all those little points to match up.  This geometric "low volume" gray fabric has worked its way into almost everything I've sewn recently.  I'm going to be very sad when it's all gone.  As an aside, I actually have been sewing a ton, but these pillows are my first fully finished project of the year.  They were finished a month ago, but I couldn't blog about them until I gave them to Jack and Will!


In case you aren't familiar with the many other versions I've made already, these are designed to be Tooth Fairy pillows, with a pocket in the front for a kiddo to place their tooth, and later receive their reward.  The pockets also provide a convenient place for the Dark Side to plot, Rebel forces to amass, or for an epic battle between good and evil.





My only error was in not making a 3rd pillow with an "M" on it.  Even though he's not planning on losing teeth any time soon, I think Uncle Matt was a little sad he didn't get one of this own.  Some boys never outgrow their love of Star Wars.

Update:  a week after I published this post, I got the most ridiculously adorable note in the mail.  So stinking cute!!!


2 comments:

T Lawrence-Simon said...

What would it take to get one of those with an M for my boss Megan, who is literally obsessed with everything star wars?

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

T, you know you have the skillz to make one yourself. And your zipper would be way better!