Thursday, February 13, 2014

Lego My Valentine

I am a huge fan of personalized paper products and typically order Valentine cards from one of my favorite stationary websites.  But every once in a while you can't find exactly what you're looking for and just have to make it yourself.  Joseph is a Legomaniac and we (umm, I) came up with the idea of making hearts out of Legos and turning them into necklaces or keychains for his classmates.  We needed a card to go with them, and I recycled the idea of the cardstock Lego blocks that I made for Joseph's birthday banner over the summer.


Joseph dutifully assembled all the hearts.
I *might* have helped attach the keychains.




Joe Joe and I also teamed up to create a giant heart out of Lego bricks to use as a photo prop since I wanted to include a picture on the back of the card.




Then I got to work with printing and cutting.... 


and assembling....




and even personalizing a few cards for teachers.


I may be biased in thinking they were cute enough as is, but punching a hole and attaching the keychains just took them to a ridiculously cuter level.



The completed card, front and back.



I sealed the cards in cellophane treat bags so the kids could see both sides as well as their special present, and labeled them with each child's name in the Lego font.



Joseph might have been this happy had his Valentine party not been canceled to due yesterday's snow day.  They'll do it sometime next week, and now we have more time to decorate a mailbox for him in which to collect all of his friends' cards.


UPDATE, January 2016: Wow, I can't believe how much interest there has been in this post since our crafty little valentine was featured in a round up on POPSUGAR Moms about Lego valentines!  Thousands of page views, and lots of questions about how to make them!  

I made a cardboard template with the measurements in the picture below, and used an Exact-o knife and ruler to cut out the shaded areas.

The Lego piece is called a 2x2 coupling plate, design # 3176.  I picked up the keychains at a local craft store.  Another great option is to use ribbon to make necklaces.

Happy crafting, and Happy Valentine's Day!!!


5 comments:

Jennifer Torrence said...

I love this idea. My son loves Legos too. Where did you get the Lego hearts?

Calla said...

Nicely done but yes where did you buy the Lego hearts from?? TIA

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

I ordered them directly from Lego since I needed so many (2 pieces for each heart) but I'm sure there are many other places you can order Legos from online.

Simply Carlise said...

where can I get the print out of the personalized card

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

I made the card, which is personalized with my son's name, so I can't offer it up as a printable. You can download a Lego font many places for free and make them in any kind of word processing program