I have always admired simple patchwork quilts, just sewing squares together, but I've also thought they can be a little boring. I hoped the more graphic prints I gravitate towards these days would add a lot more interest to the simple pattern, and adding the pink squares and star points completely changed the look of the quilt. I went with a solid pastel pink to calm down the bolder browns.
This is the basic block, made out of 4" squares. I quilted it with pink thread in diagonal lines corner to corner through the squares, and I like how it's hardly noticeable except on the darkest brown parts.
The backing was supposed to be mostly solid pink, but I ran short on fabric, so I added a vertical row of leftover patchwork squares to widen it. There are also 3 brown stars amid the pink backing, since she's one of 3 girls. I also went with 3 since there are 3 rows of 3 pink stars on the front of the quilt. I love how the front and back both compliment and contrast each other at the same time.
But the pink binding is just killer for me. All along I thought I was going to use one of the browns, but it looked soooooo drab and needed that little peek of color around the perimeter. Machine binding keeps getting easier the more I do it!
This was a pretty easy quilt to make, and it turned out adorable. "Thea-dorable," in fact! Pink and brown are just the perfect color combination for a baby girl's quilt! Welcome, baby Thea and congratulations Mallory, Davis, Cella, and Jackie!