Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013

I missed out on a lot of the fun last year because I had to work, so I was thrilled to have the day off this year and take part in all the Halloween festivities at school.  The parents all come after lunch to help kids get into their costumes for the big parade that follows.  The whole school lines up along the perimeter of the field. and each class is called in turn to march around a lap and give everyone high fives along the way.







The teachers all dress up too, as do many of the parents, like me and Jocelyn (wearing another of my homemade costumes, the Cat in the Hat).



Our teacher this year wants to keep holiday celebrations really low key, but several of us room parents put together a small party including a snack, a craft, and a story.  I was in charge of snack.  I turned mandarin orange cups into jack o lanterns by drawing on faces with a Sharpie and adding a stem from a green Post-It note.  I also made chocolate dipped pretzels in a mold that looked like skeleton fingers.






The kids made a skeleton craft out of Q-tips and construction paper, and listened to the classic story "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie, Brown."



I also passed out glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth for the kids to take home.  Always a win.



After school I had to finish up carving our pumpkins.  Joseph picked out the designs and helped just a little.  Then it was off to trick-or-treat with our neighborhood buddies.





Another great Halloween!
Now, as an aside, can you believe this is the 1000th post on the blog?!  1000!!!  
How do we have that much to blog about?
Thanks for staying with us all this time :)

No comments: