Saturday, October 12, 2013

Costume Jet Pack Tutorial

As I sit here desperately trying to figure out how on Earth I'm going to make Joseph's Halloween costume this year, I'm reminded that I seem to be in the same situation every year, trying to make some elaborate costume when a pattern doesn't exist for it.  Last year I was scouring the internet trying to find instructions for making an astronaut jet pack.   The only ideas I came across called for just taping 2 soda bottles together or covering a cereal box in tinfoil, then adding some crepe paper streamers.  Neither one looked that great or seemed that durable to me, so I came up with this:


I looked at every single beverage bottle in every grocery store imaginable before deciding that Gatorade bottles were the most interesting and were the best size.  I cut a hole in the bottom of a regular old plastic cup, and it fit perfectly over the lip of the bottle.  A coat or two of a combined spray paint with primer in grey made it look perfectly futuristic.

Try as I may, given all the bumps and ridges, I simply could not figure out a way to glue or strap these two bottles together.  I wound up taking 2 small pieces of scrap wood and screwing them together in a "T" shape, and spray painting them to match.  This way I was able to get enough surface area to crazy glue the bottles to, and it worked like a charm.  For the straps, I used adjustable nylon straps from some tote bags we never used.  I stapled them down at 1st, but the wood was very soft and wouldn't hold the staples, so I secured the straps with screws.



The flames could not have been easier!  I just took craft felt in red, orange, and yellow, and cut out wiggly shapes.  (The piece of orange I had wasn't quite long enough, so I sewed it a little farther down on the other strips so the ends would all be even.)  I then tied two bunches together with rubber bands, and stuck them through the holes in the cups, up into the Gatorade bottles.  They were thick enough that they didn't need to be secured any other way.




And with that, we were ready to count down to blast off!



I love how our jet pack turned out, and I hope this post helps someone out there with a little one who wants to be an astronaut this Halloween. :)

3 comments:

Rgutro said...

Wow! What an awesome jet pack! You should submit that to Good Housekeeping magazine or crafts magazines. Very talented!

Debbi said...

How fabulous is this. I just love it. How amazing you are to do this for your son. To ake the time and do this. I did this as a Mom for my four children. Love creating Halloween costumes for them. Such fun! Love that you are an involved dad!
You blog is great!
Thanks so much.
Will be creating this for my preschool kids in my home-based preschool. It is just so awesome!
Thanks so much for sharing.

Warmest Blessings to you three!

Debbi said...

How fabulous is this. I just love it. How amazing you are to do this for your son. To take the time and do this. I did this as a Mom for my four children...Re: Created costumes... Love creating Halloween costumes for them. Such fun! Love that you are an involved dad!
You blog is great!
Thanks so much.
Will be creating this for my preschool kids in my home-based preschool. It is just so awesome!
Thanks so much for sharing.

Warmest Blessings to you three!