Sunday, August 18, 2013

Equality Rocks

I've said several times before that I'm nothing of an activist.  I'm more of a live-and-let-live kind of guy and am not even remotely politically aware.  Which is weird living in our nation's capitol, I admit.  It should come as no surprise that I had no clue that the Supreme Court was beginning hearings on "DOMA," the Defense of Marriage Act, several months ago.  (It's surprising that I even knew what that was.)  What I was clued into was that 1/2 the people I knew were changing their Facebook profile picture to the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) logo around that time, except it was pink and red instead of blue and yellow.

Meaning aside, I immediately thought it would make an adorable (and easy) quilt block, so on the spot I sketched up a pattern and raided my fabric stash for scraps of pink and red, and made a few blocks here and there in between vacations, work, and other projects.  I included one block true to the original colors of the HRC logo on the front of the quilt.


The back is just about one of the best polka dot fabrics ever created.  I love it so much I almost didn't want to use it!  And one more blue and yellow logo block for a nice contrast of color.



It's quite a small project, with 5" finished blocks and 1/2" sashing, measuring about 23x29 inches.  A perfect "stash buster!"  I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it other than hope that one day I will have my own dedicated craft space in which to hang it.

It's quilted edge-to-edge in a grid pattern of 30 degree diamonds - something I've always wanted to try using the guide on my walking foot.  I thought diamonds were an appropriate reference to marriage, given the typical diamond ring thing and all.  And anyway, diamonds are a girl's best friend!




After a recent lesson on bindings at a local quilt shop I tried out using 2 1/4" strips on this small project instead of the typical 2 1/2", and I quite liked it!  The dark red is a perfect frame for the quilt.



I sewed the binding on by hand while we were on vacation last week in the Outer Banks, hence the lack of activity on the blog lately, and the gorgeous beach background in all the pictures!  But it was some kind of crazy windy that it's amazing I got any usable photos at all.




I'm assuming this has got to be just about the first, and probably absolute last, quilt ever inspired by the Supreme Court of the United States of America!  DOMA was eventually repealed, I can get married should the mood ever strike me, and I have an adorable little quilt to remind me that however gradual, change happens.  Equality rocks!  And now I'm off to sort through 250+ vacation photos from a week in lovely OBX.

Update: March 2016.  In response to a recent request, I've uploaded a sketch of my design with measurements and seam directions if anyone wants to make some of their own!


3 comments:

Rgutro said...

Wow. Beautiful work- and with such a great meaning. It's a great way to celebrate equality. Hopefully, all of the other states will come to their senses. What an amazing talent you have!

Heather (heatherforman@gmail.com) said...

This is fantastic! I am looking for a block pattern for the HRC logo (it seems so obvious, there should be 1,000 of them, right?) and can't find anything except a paper pieced one with no dimensions. You wouldn't happen to remember your piece measurements, would you? All of them are really great, I'm a fan!

Heather Forman said...

Thank you, you're so nice! This is my next project!