Thursday, January 24, 2013

Space Invaders

It used to be that I only went fabric shopping when I had a specific project in mind.  Now, I just buy any fabric that I like and hoard it until inspiration strikes.  Case in point, this quilt:


Along the way I'd picked up some yardage of a cute blue and green polka dot and an aqua/blue rocket ship print that I knew would be perfect for a little boy someday.  Then, when a baby boy named Jace was born into my extended family in October, I found just one little quarter yard of this black and white aliens print (who remembers the Space Invaders arcade game from way back when?), and there was a plan.  I also pulled some black and white fabric from my stash that reminded me of asteroids (another classic arcade game!) and comet trails, along with some solid green and teal.  The pattern is a simple "tumbler" block that I've wanted to make for ages which showcases the larger scale prints perfectly.



I used up every scrap of that Space Invaders "fat quarter," with just 2 tumblers left over to piece into the back.



The rest of the back was just the remaining yardage of those adorable rocket and polka dot prints......which I will miss dearly, but they sure made a darn cute quilt - made even cuter with the addition of the perfect green stripe for the binding.





(The binding, by the way, is machine-stitched, which is perfect for the extra wear and tear a baby quilt will probably suffer.)


The quilt by now has hopefully found its way to baby Jace, and he will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it for him.  And speaking of babies loving quilts, can you tell that my baby is still a big fan of my favorite hobby?  His red pants are a give-away, but he insisted on helping hold it up to take pictures!

No comments: