Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Purple One

Is there much more to say about this quilt?  It. is. purple!



This quilt was made for one of Joseph's preschool teachers this year, Miss Sandra.  Since I made teacher quilts last year, I thought it was only fair to do the same this year.......especially since I only had to make one, since Miss Kasia was his teacher again this year.  Phew, I don't think I could have pulled off another two!

Purple is, of course, Miss Sandra's favorite color.  If I heard that once, I heard it a thousand times.  Joseph could not see something purple without reminding me of that fact.  Sometimes daily.  Sometimes more.  So when I came across this fabric, I bought a ton of it, thinking it would be the perfect "feature" fabric.  



I simply love it with the combo of greens and grays, and I adore the variety of prints from my favorites, polka dots and stripes, to houndstooth, floral and damask.  Unfortunately something happened along the way, and the main fabric wound up being lost in the tiny squares on the front of the quilt and became the majority of the backing.  I guess that's what happens when you're in a rush and don't have a plan.  I gave myself 3 weeks to do the whole thing, and tried to stay with simple strip piecing, basing the pattern on this one from Red Pepper Quilts (again).

It's a fun and pretty quilt, but I honestly can't say it's one of my favorites.  Maybe I'm just not that into purple.  Maybe it's just that I could not get the soundtrack from "Purple Rain" out of my head for more than 3 weeks while sewing this.  Yes, more than 3 weeks.  I had too much going on and didn't get it done it time.



The quilting was straightforward - outlining and diagonals, and I am seriously loving this machine binding on larger quilts.  It's done in an hour and looks fantastic from both the front and the back!



It's a nice "lap sized" quilt, 62" x 62"



As with all my quilts, Joseph asked to keep it and said he was sad to see it go.  But off we went and delivered it today to a very wonderful teacher, who loves purple very much.


1 comment:

Jocie Z ROCK said...

Green and purple together are just gorgeous! It's simply perfect! Is that brent s toes under the quilt!? Great pics!!