Saturday, May 19, 2012

American You

My best friend's niece, Tasha, has been living near us in DC the past 3 years attending law school at American University's Washington College of Law.  She is like family (even calling me and Brent her "faux uncles"), is an often welcome guest for Sunday suppers, and has been a babysitter extraordinaire for Joe Joe.  So when it came near to her graduation, I wanted to make her a quilt to remember and celebrate her accomplishments.



Her school colors are red, white, and blue (duh, it is American U!), but I heard she liked the combo of navy blue and pink, and no one, no matter how patriotic, really wants to snuggle under something that looks like an American flag.  So I went with pink, peach, coral and just a touch of red, and it's quite a lovely effect.

The design is the popular Bento Box quilt pattern, one I've had my eye on for a while.  It's bold and graphic but kind of has some movement to it as well.  It's quilted in double straight lines through the 4 quadrants of the block, with a single diagonal to emphasize the directionality of the pattern.  Some people scramble all the fabrics up, but I liked the look of the alternating color blocks so kept them together.  But I did mix it up a little in the few blocks on the back.



I love the look of the striped binding, especially against the solid navy backing fabric.  I was totally in a rush to finish this baby and wound up doing machine binding.  It was so easy and came out so well, I may be a convert!



Do I have the best quilt holder in the world?!  You can't even see Brent back there!  But it's not particularly his favorite job, even though it takes all of 5 minutes.



I really think it turned out to be quite a pretty quilt!  Joseph thinks so too.  I told him it was for Tasha, and he said, "No, I want to keep it for myself!"  Hope she likes it just as much.



(For those interested, there are many patterns for Bento Box quilts out there.  I went with the fairly straightforward lesson I found here at Red Pepper quilts.  With proper planning and cutting you can make a set of 2 blocks out of a 5" WOF piece of each a focus and background fabric!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely beautiful!!!

Nadeen said...

JoJo is just too cute! Beautiful quilt as usual. Dang-how big is it?!!!

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

(it's 60 x 70 inches. "lap" sized, not quite big enough for a bed)

Goddess in Progress said...

Gorgeous! I love the way it looks with the not-scrappy bento blocks. And HA, NICE QUILTING! Seriously, we should have our own little quilting retreat, we're on the same wavelength. :-)

Beautiful finish, and I bet she absolutely loved it.

finster37 said...

Beautiful quilt...I'm envious and I must have the pattern....please

Carl, Brent, and Joseph said...

I've updated the end of the post to include a link to the tutorial I used. Hope that helps and inspires!

Sadie said...

Gorgeous!!