Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Up a Creek

(Well, that would have been a more interesting post title had my son's name been Dawson. Alas...)

We really took advantage of that gorgeous fall weather last week. Right after school on Tuesday we went with a friend to nearby Westmoreland Hills Park. After a picnic and some time on the playground we showed everyone a little secret I recently discovered - a path down to a creek. I had taken Joseph the week before and he absolutely loved it.

I frequently run on the Little Falls Trail which runs right along the creek and also parallels the Capital Crescent Trail for a while. I'd always seen these small paths going off in all directions but never knew where they led. One recent day we got bored at the park and started walking around when a nice lady told us that one path led down to a lake. Well, turns out it wasn't a lake, and I recognized the route immediately. Doesn't it look like a lovely place to run?



The kids loved simply running back and forth over the bridge and throwing leaves down into the water. More so they loved going under the bridge to the water's edge, playing on the "beach," climbing around on the big rocks, and throwing pebbles out into the creek. Joseph calls the whole experience "an adventure" and likes being an "explorer."



So wonderful to have such a serene spot to enjoy nature right near our house, not even 2 minutes from preschool. And of course, it's a sweet little park. I'd go there over and over just to see the static electricity from the slide.

2 comments:

Hollie Reese said...

Love it! How fun for the kids.

Anonymous said...

I think I have a picture of JT and me on that bridge...brings back memories...there are so many beautiful sites in your area...I love DC...everyone should visit ...hugs MIMI