Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tricky Treats

It was a no brainer that I was going to sign up to provide treats for the kids' Halloween party at school. People always seem impressed by what I can do in the kitchen and craft departments, but what's not always understand is that I don't just come across my skill set without effort. I'm a try it-and-see-how-it-goes kind of guy, and I've had more than my fair share of failures. What's the worst that can happen? Even the ugly looking stuff still usually tastes pretty good! So when I came across this silicone pumpkins mold the other day while holding a 50% off coupon in my hand, I thought I'd give it a whirl.


My 1st thought was Jello. Fun little wiggly orange pumpkins instead of yet another cupcake. How cute would that be!?! Uh, no - FAIL! Not really firm enough to stand up to unmolding.

Second thought: Jello "jigglers." Much firmer, might work. Uh, no - FAIL again!


Jack O' on the right is OK, but it looks like Hannibal Lecter gnawed away at the face on the left. Not exactly appropriate for preschoolers.

Plan C? Well, it is a cake mold after all. Uh, no - closer to an EPIC fail.


This time Jack on the left is decent, but the poor gourd on the right looks like his eye was gouged out. Eww. Don't even get me started on what the backs looked like. Not pretty. So with all that cake batter left over, I went the predicatble route and just made mini cupcakes and shoved a candy pumpkin on top. They look pretty darn cute all together.



For a take-home treat along with the goody bags I went with fondant covered sugar cookie ghosts and bats. In my opinion they are the taste of pure heaven regardless of what shape they take.



I loved the look of them after doing them for Joseph's birthday. They're not as elaborate as last year's cookies, but after all the other failures I was running out of time and patience, you know? Those perfect little bats have me wishing that Joe Joe wants a superhero party for his birthday next year.

There was still some cookie dough and fondant left over after making sure I had enough made for the class and teachers, and I cannot let supplies like that go to waste. So I made a dozen plain round cookies and we let the kids draw on them with edible food markers when the other room parents and I were assembling the goodie bags.


I'd love to show you how they turned out, but the were drawn on and gobbled up in record time.

Hopefully this post will inspire my friends and followers to just dive in and give something new a try. I must be finally having an effect on at least 1 person. I came home to find this festive display on our dining room table, and I had absolutely nothing to do with it:

5 comments:

Mallory said...

Once again, I'm in awe of you. I think the reason that you get so many compliments is that you are willing to keep trying. I would have pronounced the jello good enough. You are inspiring though. Maybe one day I will even seize some of that inspiration. ;-)

Graciela said...

I don't know how I got here, but I do know that I LOVE to check your blog every week and see all the fun stuff you do with your son and how happy the 3 of you are! :) Congratulations for the beautiful family!! I wish I could know y'all personally!
Wish you all the best!
Graciela

Hollie Reese said...

Will you please move by me!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Carl .....you did it again...glad I'm not a room mom...you keep setting the bar HIGHER and HIGHER....great work...hugs MIMI

Aleta said...

I just found your blog - and I love it! You are very creative. Congrats!