Friday, August 19, 2011

Scenes from a County Fair

I did not grow up in an area that had county fairs. Carnivals and festivals, sure, but nothing with cattle shows or pig races or tractor pulls or monster trucks. So when the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair rolled into town this year, I hooked up with a friend and we took the kids out for the day.


None of the rides were open before noon, so we spent the better part of the morning checking out the agricultural animal exhibits. Sheep, cows, chickens, pigs, you name it. The kids were fascinated by just about everything. How often to you see a goat being milked in the suburbs?



The poultry barn was especially a hit. Joseph was right at home with his "peeps." (Anyone remember I dressed him as a rooster for Halloween since he's always up with the chickens? I still love the video of that.) We had to drag the kids away from the incubators where they watched baby chicks hatching.




Okay, that last one? I will never to be able to erase that image whenever I think to myself that someone has skinny chicken legs.

Now, I can't even imagine what you can judge a sweet little bunny on. But boy, do they judge - that last little guy was disqualified for being overweight. Harsh.



Sure, I get how a county fair would have pony rides......


....but this was a little weird. The kids thought it was cool.



After lunch we strolled down to the carnival area. Zara, Sophie and Joseph were really very sweet on each other the whole day.



There are always so many crazy rides at a carnival! My friend Jocelyn could not stop thinking about going on one of these swing rides.



And of course there are ridiculous amounts of treats to be begged for, like cotton candy. It took some convincing, but Zara finally shared some of hers.



We lucked into an awesome deal because it turns out it was "family day." There was a flat fee for unlimited rides all day. We started off with a ride on the ferris wheel to take it all in, then hit anything and everything the kids wanted to try.




Even the big kids ;)



Jocelyn is a HOOT! It was so much fun spending the whole day with her and Zara. It was the very last thing we did before leaving for the day, but Joc got her turn on that swing ride. It's good to have friends in high places.

3 comments:

Karen in Progress said...

Sooo fun. Our fair is next week and you just got me really excited to go. I'm glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Now that's where I want to go next time I visit...and Joclyn has to come...I love JoeJoes hair...it's getting longer...love and hugs MiMi

josiennas1 said...

Our fair comes into town on Friday. I hope we have Camel Rides :)
I went to one in WVA, and they are harsh. Our friend lost the goat show, even though he had this real healthy, gorgeous goat :/