Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fair & Square

Silly me - I call myself a quilter, yet I completely lacked the foresight to realize that when Joseph moved into a big boy bed several months ago, he'd really need a big boy quilt too. Or maybe I was just in denial - it took me long enough to make a baby quilt for him, and it's not like I have all that much free time anymore.

I finally got to check out this amazing quilt shop near my parents' house, Pennington Quilt Works. I'm a sucker for stripes and fell in love with this green and blue stripe that I knew would be perfect for the binding. Then I found 6 blue and 6 green "fat quarters" of coordinating prints. But I still had no idea what I was going to make! I LOVE what I came up with in the end!



I never knew there were so many quilt blogs out there until I found out that a friend of a friend had one. Liz at teeny tiny quilts definitely influenced this quilt. She often uses very bold prints and modern patterns, which is so not me, but I'm always up for trying something new. She also takes great photos! After clicking through countless links and considering so many patterns that I just didn't buy enough fabric for, I came up with this one called "Matchbox." All I needed was some solid white fabric and I was good to go.



All straight lines, almost everything cut in the same 2 1/2" strips. I thought "EASY!" Unfortunately I didn't think "fast, " which would have helped. I don't have enough time for fast, so I had to make peace with easy. It takes a while to make a full size bed quilt!


If you don't have a plan when you buy fabric, you always wind up improvising at the end. Another thing all those cyberquilters like Liz out there do is piece together the back of the quilt too. I had plenty of the stripe left over, so I just bought a little coordinating solid for each side, and I think it's pretty cool.


And here's Joseph jumping for joy over finally having a new quilt for his bed! It was his birthday present from me, just a little late (like the last one).



Oh, and if you don't get the title of this post, it's the name of the quilt. My blondie is fair, the quilt is all squares.

3 comments:

The Houston's said...

Wow. You truly are amazing. That is awesome!

Hollie Reese said...

Wow! You should design for Pottery Barn! Give me a call Monday morning. We can cry together. Ha

mimi said...

Carl you are like a fine wine...you get better and better...the quilt is another masterpiece....can't wait to see it....luv and hugs MiMi