Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If you build it, they will come: 1 year later

Some of you may recall that we put together a swing set for Joseph's birthday last year that my parents generously gave him as a gift. It took another month or 2 to finish up some of the details, but we never got around to completing the sandbox.


1 year later - still dirt and grass!


So one of our presents to Joseph for his birthday this year was to give him a sandbox in time for his party. You know we could have just poured some sand in there and called it a day, but I'm a guy who thinks if you're going to bother doing something, you have to do it the right way. And so we dug up the grass (with a little help from an interested second party).



And we leveled the dirt.


And we lined it with "landscape fabric," which is a fancy name for a weed barrier that still allows some drainage.


And we filled it with 500 POUNDS of play sand. Which only fills it about 1/2 way.



Then the crafter in me came out to fashion some sort of cover for it. Hey, I don't want cat pee in there...or worse! I don't know where I came up with this idea, but I made a cover out of marine vinyl from Joann's, some grommets, and bungee cords. No, I had never heard of marine vinyl before either until I went looking for some kind of waterproof fabric.




And now it's time for fun!


2 comments:

Hollie Reese said...

I am way impressed with that cover! Next time I'll post a picture with Justin in an LSU Tigers shirt!

Anonymous said...

Only you Carl...I don't think you have to ever worry about anything getting into the sandbox...pretty clever...cannot wait till Friday when we will be in DC. For the big birthday event...look out JoeJoe. ...MiMi is coming to town...love and hugs MiMi