Sunday, March 28, 2010

Staycation, Stage 3

Stage 3: Quality time without the kid.
We kept our nanny for the week so Joseph could stay with her and we could have some rare time together without him in tow. Was that so wrong??

It's been so long since we toured some of the famous sites of our city. There's a brand new visitor center at the Capitol Building, and we lucked into a public tour of the Capitol itself to boot.



Very cool to see the inside of the dome again (it's easily been more than a decade), especially having recently read "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown, which prominently features symbology in the architecture and artwork around DC. Especially "The Apotheosis of Washington," the painting at the top of the Capitol dome.




They also built a tunnel from the Capitol to the Library of Congress, which I had never been to in more than 15 years of living here. Hard to tell, but I'm reading "The Help" in the top picture. It is a library, after all. So far I've been keeping up with my resolution to read a book a month this year.




This building was Over. The. Top. Quite a bit ornate, but cool to see in person, and a nice thing to do on a leisurely day about town.

2 comments:

The Houston's said...

There is NOTHING wrong with that!!!! I am all about date nights often!! Looks like ya'll did a lot of fun things. What a great city!!

Hollie Reese said...

Yeah for quality time! I wish I had more of it! Ha! I have heard "The Help" is really good. Let me know if it is worth the read!