Sunday, July 20, 2008

No trick, just treats

Hi, my name is Carl, and I have a problem with baked goods.
I never know when to stop.

In my defense, my son will never have another first birthday, so I had to do what I had to do!




It was a safari theme, but I snuck a little crab onto the top of the cake, since his sign is Cancer, the crab.

And why stop at cake, when you can spend every nap time over a week (or so) molding chocolate lollipops?


And since there was a little batter left over, why not make some cupcakes for people to take home? The biggest shock is that most of the cake was gone at the end of the party! I guess carrot cake wasn't such a bad choice after all, unless people were throwing it in the trash when I wasn't looking....



If anyone wants to know how I made all the J's on the cupcakes and the decorations on the cake, it involved much inspiration, changing my mind several hundred times (which is why there was no fondant involved in the end), blowing up templates from the party invitation 400% on the photocopier at work, many batches of royal icing which would amaze even Martha Stewart, edible food markers, and many death threats aimed at our cat Simon, who tirelessly tried to destroy all my handiwork, even up to the day before the party while I was trying to assemble the cake.

It was a snap!

1 comment:

The Thibodeaux's said...

OMG...I can't believe that cake...that is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I am AMAZED. Good job Carl! Wish we could have been there. Joseph looks like he had a ball. Happy Birthday Joe Joe. We miss and love you bunches.